MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

Monday, May 2, 2016

I've been taking a bit of a break from blogging. I wasn't sure exactly why I was stepping away or how long I'd be gone. I just knew that I needed time to organize my thoughts and hone in on what I really want to use this space for. Last week, inspiration hit and I started brainstorming on paper and here I am: I'm back. While I wasn't writing, I managed to sort through older posts to tweak some things and mostly make it all a bit more accessible. I originally posted this recipe a few years ago while I was in the throes of the 'morning sickness in the middle of a Brooklyn Summer and this window unit is not cutting it' stage of my life. I basically laid on the couch all day, nauseous and in my underwear, and fed my kid a bag of Goldfish for lunch. It was fun. We took these on the road with us to Niagara Falls and I will forever equate Morning Glory Muffins with Canada and my pregnancy with Noble. I stumbled on a more basic recipe years ago and since then, we've made them our own by tweaking them just right until they became a staple in our house. My favorite thing about these muffins, besides how healthy and filling they are, is how versatile they are. As long as you keep the ratios generally the same, you can add anything you like. We've added blueberries, oat bran, flax meal, chia seeds, and more. When I think of muffins, I think of food and I want something that tastes like food, not cake. This is really the only muffin recipe we bother to make because we enjoy them so much. Don't let the long list of ingredients intimidate you though! It may seem daunting or expensive, but they come together quickly, easily, and cheaply once you have the basic ingredients in your pantry.











print recipe

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS
a healthy breakfast or snack full of whole grains, fruits, nuts, and hidden veggies
Ingredients
  • 1 C. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 C. oat bran
  • 1/2 C. rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 teas. baking powder
  • 1 teas. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teas. cinnamon
  • 1/2 teas. allspice
  • 1/4 teas. sea salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C. mashed banana
  • 1/2 C. milk
  • 1/4 C. brown sugar or honey
  • 1 teas. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 C. grated carrot
  • 8 oz. crushed pineapple in juice
  • 1/4 C. unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 C. raisins
  • 1 TBSP. orange zest
  • 1/4 C. walnut pieces
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and oil your muffin pan.2. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.3. In a small bowl, mash the bananas, then add eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla.4. Grate the carrots, then throw all the lumpy stuff (carrots, pineapple, raisins, orange zest, and walnuts) and liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.5. Spoon batter into muffin cups, then sprinkle the tops with rolled oats and/or shaved coconut, just for looks.6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until muffins are golden brown on top and still moist inside, but not sticky.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 large muffins

1 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I love muffins, and the kids love them too. This would be great for the early school mornings.

    ReplyDelete

 

© The Long Way Home All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger